Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

R18+ Classification debate.

+2
PeterPotamus
Wesker
6 posters

:: Public Forum :: News

Go down

R18+ Classification debate. Empty R18+ Classification debate.

Post by Wesker Tue 15 Dec 2009, 2:40 am

Wesker
Wesker
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

R18+ Classification debate. Empty Re: R18+ Classification debate.

Post by PeterPotamus Tue 15 Dec 2009, 3:10 am

Well here is my reply - so don't steal it Razz

By replacing the words "video game" with "alcohol" in the arguments presented against changing current legislation to allow for an R18+ classification for gaming, you essentially are presented with the same issues affecting the young and their exposure to an illicit substance.

We do not ban alcohol or tobacco in this country yet it appears that, due to lack of understanding by parents in the ways in which to control access, video games are demonised as are the gamers, some of which are parents like myself, who do understand how these controls are implemented.
The nanny state mentality needs to stop. Being proactive about the world we live in and achieving the necessary understanding of that world is more important that shutting it down and living in denial.

As technology pushes forward with access to more content (not just games) over electronic mediums, only through classification, education and a mentality that parents should be enabled to take control (rather than the state) will Australians be better prepared to "think about the children".
Classification is a first step towards better preparing parents and the next generation in protecting children. The world is bigger than Australia and it is time we as Australians actually took some responsibility for ourselves and our children.
The alternative to keeping the status quo will be that

a) parents who do not wish to accept responsibly will continue to be ignorant
b) parents who do wish to accept responsibility but do not know how will be denied the ability to do so
c) Only parents taking it upon themselves to educate themselves as to every single release of a game and identifying that game being played as it is illegally obtained and distributed amongst children through their peers.

Government's role should be about helping parents help their children - not to take the responsibility of raising children under it's own jurisdiction. A classification system backed up by education and information is the best way to do this. Government can also further assist by working with console and operating system manufacturers to ensure that a properly implemented ratings system is in line with current and future parental control measures.
PeterPotamus
PeterPotamus
Admin/God
Admin/God

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadz Tue 15 Dec 2009, 11:49 pm

Stealing.
Shadz
Shadz

Back to top Go down

Post by Zero Wed 16 Dec 2009, 4:05 am

Already stolen...
Zero
Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by Wesker Wed 16 Dec 2009, 4:25 am

I still have yet to write mine up but I've decided to point out the effects on the Aussie economy, eg: Banned game = Pirated/imported game = Australian money going overseas = not good in times of recession.

With the gaming industry being bigger than Hollywood it would be a stupid decision not to allow an R rating.
Wesker
Wesker
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by mrbonsaikitten Wed 16 Dec 2009, 10:35 am

Wesker wrote:I still have yet to write mine up but I've decided to point out the effects on the Aussie economy, eg: Banned game = Pirated/imported game = Australian money going overseas = not good in times of recession.

With the gaming industry being bigger than Hollywood it would be a stupid decision not to allow an R rating.

If you havent already, add something about Modern Warfare 2 making bigger sales then most hollywood blockbusters
mrbonsaikitten
mrbonsaikitten

Back to top Go down

Post by LOTUK Fri 18 Dec 2009, 6:51 am

LOTUK
LOTUK

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: Public Forum :: News

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum