Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Team training - Not just L4D - All members must read

4 posters

:: Public Forum :: News

Go down

Team training - Not just L4D - All members must read Empty Team training - Not just L4D - All members must read

Post by PeterPotamus Thu 10 Sep 2009, 3:51 am

So there you are thinking "Man I am soo 1337 and I am sooooooooo bored in pubs. I reckon I am good enough to do this in a proper ladder. I'm gonna ask Wesker to start another team."

From here Wesker will generally try his best to get things going but sadly, they ultimately fall on their arse.

The fact is, with any persuit in life, a simple "desire" to partake in something is NEVER enough to reach a goal. While most people will read that and say "well duh" the fact is most people seem to lose sight of this once things start.

Training is the key element to improving anything in life and gaming is no different. Training involves not only the desire but the ability to meet a time commitment. It also needs to take into consideration times which are suitable for both the trainer, the majority of the trainees and will most likely be conducted around times that ladder matches occur.

If you can't make the times set out then there is little point in training for ladder matches as being unavailable for the bulk of the week means there is little chance of actually spending the necessary time on improving your game or being present when you are needed for matches.

From this point forward, if there is a desire to start a new team for any game, here is how the process will work.

1. Contact Wesker expressing interest.
2. A team trainer/ trainers will be assigned.
3. A training schedule will be created.
4. A sign up thread will be created with people who are able to COMMIT TO THE MAJORITY OF THE TIMES/ DATES.
5. If enough people are available the training will commence.

Now a note on training.

Quite honestly, training is often NOT what people expect.

Most people presume it's about improving their individual game which, if you think about it, in a TEAM game it is actually the LAST thing that needs to be focussed on.

Training involves re-learning how to play the game. Most people can play well in a pub game however, when versing a good team you don't have the chance to exploit people's mistakes to make or break the game. It becomes paramount to work together to break a cohesive team.

Usually, training starts out REALLY boring. You essentially do the same things you always did but you don't get to actually DO your own thing. Take L4D. You can't move until the team moves, you can't run off to check a room unless you are covered to do so in fact, you can't shit unless you are given an ok to do so.

While this sounds boring, it's important. A good team will notice people running away from their team and will EXPLOIT it. This is where it all falls apart and why it is fundamentally important to not only understand how the team works, but to make it second nature. It should get so ingrained that playing a pub feels weird.

If you REALLY REALLY REALLY want to get better you need patience, courtesy to your fellow team mates and some humility about your own skills. The quicker you accept this and the more time you commit the faster you get better and the quicker training turns from simply how to move as a team to improving your individual skills WITHIN THE TEAM. This is where the fun really begins and when you have learned enough to apply this methodology to any other game.

With this in mind I am resubmitting an expression of interest for the second L4D team. If you want to play, post there. If we have enough we will continue on otherwise it will be canned.

Last edited by PeterPotamus on Thu 10 Sep 2009, 4:50 am; edited 1 time in total
PeterPotamus
PeterPotamus
Admin/God
Admin/God

Back to top Go down

Team training - Not just L4D - All members must read Empty Re: Team training - Not just L4D - All members must read

Post by Wesker Thu 10 Sep 2009, 4:36 am

I know there is enough interest in this 2nd team, there is just not enough time organization. Some can only play on weekends, some only on weeknights, some before 9pm and others only after. You guys need to prioritize. If you want in for some competitive gaming you need to be able to plan ahead with the rest of the group and BE ON TIME.

I know some are always available but when others aren't it really affects the team, meaning we'll generally find another player who has more flexibility with time. I know some of you have had some quarrels with us getting NEW players for a team rather than selecting from old players, this is only because they have more availability.

(I'm starting to sound like a nagging boss)

So on that note, in the wise words of Francis:

"Get your rear into gear!"
Wesker
Wesker
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Team training - Not just L4D - All members must read Empty Re: Team training - Not just L4D - All members must read

Post by FalseSecurity Fri 18 Sep 2009, 10:38 am

I tried being team leader for MHz Beta, it's hard work, and you really need to motivate your team into playing, involving lots of practice.
Sadly the team had to break up due to lack of participating, and my lack of organization seeing I didn't have the time on my hand.

If starting a team 2, as Wes says, you need to have availability, time, dedication and patience.
FalseSecurity
FalseSecurity

Back to top Go down

Post by PewPew Fri 25 Sep 2009, 7:51 am

im willing to participate but pewpew needs a guiding hand since im so new to this new kindergarden :O
PewPew
PewPew

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down